DIY OAT & ALMOND MILK
It is becoming more and more known that choosing plants over animals is an important step towards helping the environment, but while you might not be ready to give up meat altogether, perhaps trying a home made plant milk could be a start?
While each plant based milk has its own set of pros and cons based on water, land and emission, which you'll be able to see in the below graphic, it is safe to say all plant based milk are better than cows milk.
Comparing Milks (graphic curtesy of @herbipaul)
So, what's so wrong with cows milk?
- Cows milk requires, on average, 9 square metres of land and 628 litres of water.
For every litre of milk produced, 3kg of greenhouse gases enter the atmosphere.
Around 70% of the worlds population are lactose intolerant (unknown to many!)
There is also the ongoing cruelty and exploitation of dairy cows and their calves, all in all doesn't sound too appetising.
Easy Oat Milk Recipe:
- 1 cup large rolled oats
- handful raw cashews (optional creaminess)
- 1 tsp / tbsp maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups cold water (refrigerated - must be cold to stop the oats going slimy!)
- Add oats, raw cashews, maple syrup, salt and water to your blender
- Blend on high for about 25 - 30 seconds MAX (any longer and can also result in slimy milk)
- Place your sieve or nut milk bag over a large bowl and pour over.
- Gentle fold the mixture to get the milk out but do NOT over press or squeeze.
- Transfer the milk into an air tight bottle and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Easy Almond Milk Recipe:
- 1 cup of almonds (soak over night)⠀
- 3 cups water (you can add more or less!)⠀
- 2 pitted dates + sprinkle of salt⠀
- A little vanilla (optional)⠀
- Soak almonds over night or for 8 hours
- Strain the soaked almonds
- Add 3 cups of fresh water
- Blended on high speed until fully mixed and foamy (2 mins or so)
- Add to muslin bag and strain
Let me know if you give this a try! Connect with us on Instagram and send us pictures or a message - @thegoodkarmaco